Researcher - Field 3
Dr Couture's main interest is the impact of nutrition on the metabolism of intestinal lipoprotein in the context of insulin resistance in humans. The principal methods used by his team include the study of apolipoprotein kinetics using stable isotopes, gene expression studies for key genes involved in intestinal lipid metabolism as well as LC-MS/MS quantification of proteins in human instestinal tissues.
ExpertiseDiabète sucré expression des gènes hypercholestérolémie maladie coronarienne arteriosclerosis kinetic isotopes stables lipoprotéines thrombophilia nutrition
Université Laval (CHUL)Institut des nutraceutiques et des aliments fonctionnels (INAF)
2440, boul. Hochelaga
Pavillon des Services
Québec G1V 0A6
418-525-4444 extension : 42106
Fax : 418-317-1320
Senior clinical researcher (FQRS)
Clinical nutrition and metabolism
Dr Couture's team was the first to demonstrate that the accumulation of atherogene lipoprotein rich in trygliceride associated with type 2 diabeties was in part caused by an hypersecretion of intestinal lipoproteins in these patients. Their works have also shed more light on the impact of various hypolipidemic and hypoglycemic drugs on the metabolism of lipoprotein in cases of insulin resistance. His team recently developed a unique human model to study gene expression and intestinal protein quantification involved in intestinal lipid metabolism. Dr Couture his a co-author of the Canadian recommendations for the diagnosis and treatment of dyslipidemia and prevention of cardiovascular disease in the adult.
- Genest J, McPherson R, Frohlich J, Anderson T, Campbell N, Carpentier A, Couture P, Dufour R, Fodor G, Francis GA, Grover S, Gupta M, Hegele RA, Lau DC, Leiter L, Lewis GF, Lonn E, Mancini GB, Ng D, Pearson GJ, Sniderman A, Stone JA, Ur E. 2009 Canadian Cardiovascular Society/Canadian guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of dyslipidemia and prevention of cardiovascular disease in the adult - 2009 recommendations. Can J Cardiol. 2009;25:567-79.
- Sniderman A, Couture P, de Graaf J. Diagnosis and treatment of apolipoprotein B dyslipoproteinemias. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2010;6:335-46.
- Tremblay AJ, Lamarche B, Deacon CF, Weisnagel SJ, Couture P. Effect of sitagliptin therapy on postprandial lipoprotein levels in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes, obesity & metabolism. 2011;13:366-73.
- Tremblay AJ, Lamarche B, Lemelin V, Hoos L, Benjannet S, Seidah NG, Davis HR, Jr., Couture P. Atorvastatin increases intestinal expression of NPC1L1 in hyperlipidemic men. J Lipid Res. 2011;52:558-65.
- Guay V, Lamarche B, Charest A, Tremblay AJ, Couture P. Effect of short-term low- and high-fat diets on low-density lipoprotein particle size in normolipidemic subjects. Metabolism. 2012;61:76-83.
- Postdoctorate, Lipoprotein Metabolism, Tufts University, USA, 1999
- Ph.D., Physiology, Université Laval, 1997
- Sub-speciality in internal medecine, Université Laval, 1993
- MD, Medecine, Université Laval, 1988